Unexpected Household Poisons: Info from a Veterinarian in Frisco
Thanks to the Internet, dog and cat owners are more knowledgeable about taking good care of their beloved companions than in the past. With a wealth of info at your fingertips, learning more about your cat or dog is easy. Still, quite a few dog and cat owners are unaware many everyday items could hurt their pets. Most everyone knows to keep chocolate and prescription medications out of pets' reach, but lots of other household items are just as harmful. Since March is National Pet Poison Prevention Month, now is a good opportunity to increase your knowledge. Continue reading to discover a couple of household items you might not know could harm your feline friend or canine companion.
You may not know xylitol by its name, but you likely have it in your home. It is an increasingly common artificial sweetener used in sugar-free foods and snacks, especially gum and candy. However, it isn't so sweet for cats and dogs. If eaten, Xylitol can cause your pet's blood sugar levels to drop. It has also been linked to serious liver damage. With food manufacturers using this ingredient more frequently, it is showing up in new products constantly. Xylitol is even found in some types of peanut butter. Be sure to read labels before giving your feline friend or canine companion human food!
2. Grapes and Raisins
Grapes and raisins are delicious and nourishing snack food items for you and your kids, but they are not safe for pets. Scientists are not quite sure what makes these fruits are so hazardous to companion animals, but even consuming just a few grapes or raisins might lead to renal failure.
If you have houseplants, keep them away from your cat or dog. Various houseplants are toxic to pets and can lead to problems ranging from minor digestive upset to organ damage and death. Aloe, snake plants, dracaena, and philodendrons are just a couple of houseplants that are harmful to cats and dogs.
Caring For Pets Who Have Ingested Poison
If you ever have any reason to think your furry friend might have eaten or been exposed to a poison or toxin, seek assistance right away. Your pet needs an exam even if they have no recognizable symptoms. For further guidance, get in touch with the Pet Poison Helpline.
If you are searching for a skilled veterinarian in Frisco, PetNest Animal Hospital is here to help. Our caring team provides both preventative care and treatment for illnesses and will provide your pet with the care they need. To find out more about us and our services or schedule an appointment, please call now.
When you subscribe to the blog, we will send you an e-mail when there are new updates on the site so you wouldn't miss them.